Thursday, December 22, 2005

Feet of the World

I was driving my offspring to school yesterday, singing along with the incessant Christmas music on the radio, when that wonderful, uplifting Christmas classic, "Feed the World...Do They Know It's Christmas" came on. Nothing like a pleasant little ditty about starving kids in Africa to make the holidays complete.

So I'm singing along, and suddenly, from behind me, I hear the angelic voice of FrogBoy. Very loud, but very sweet. And he's singing about "Feet of the World." Perfect.

It got me to thinking about how we often totally screw up song lyrics. And we're convinced that we have the right words, so we belt them out loud and strong. There are websites devoted to the phenomenon.

This immediately led me down another path. My brother, the professor, has a nice little trick he pulls out whenever he's singing and doesn't know the words: He starts up a conversation. Just out of nowhere. He'll be singing, "If you're happy and you know it" and suddenly, "So! How 'bout those Mavericks?" It's great.

Spanky does something similar: he sings loud and proud on the parts he knows, and when he gets to parts he doesn't know, he just starts mumbling. Then he smiles. He knows he's still cute so he can get away with this. The Professor doesn't even try this one.

So all this is going through my head yesterday and The Professor calls me. He has a list of Christmas songs to share. I will include it here because (1) it is funny and (2) I have made fun of him and it's 2 days before Christmas.

Psychiatrist's Christmas Carols
Narcissistic - Hark! The Herald Angels Sing...about Me
Manic - Decks the Halls and Walls and House and Lawn and Street and Stores and Office and Town and Cars and Buses and Trucks and Trees and Fire Hydrants and...
Paranoid - Santa Claus is Coming to Get Me
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells...
ADHD -- Hark the herald angels sing ba-rum-pa-pum-pum in the little town of Bethlehem up on the housetop in a winter wonderland one foggy Christmas Eve hey how bout them Bears no I don't want to switch to Sprint but thank you for shopping at K-Mart.

Okay, that's really funny, but not very nice. Point being, I can say this, because 2 of these live in my house (bonus points if you guess which ones!) and I'm related to all the others.

Have yourself a merry little Christmas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Schizophrenic: "I'll be home for Christmas. And so will I"

Anonymous said...

I thought I had come up with new news(though a manicdepressed friend) Should have know THE PROFESSOR GOT there first & AM NOT INCLUDED IN YOUR LIST OF RELATIVES THAT THESE MIGHT NUMBER

Anonymous said...

Last night (on the LAST night of Christmas music), your youngest nephew added to the list by ad-libbing on a Holly Jolly Christmas: "oh, ho, the mistletoe, humble it may seem...."