Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Someday

I love lists. To-do lists, weekly lists, long-term goal lists, what to pack for vacation lists...More work goes into my lists than the actual jobs they detail. I love bulleted lists, boxes to check off, items to scratch through ... and then re-writing the entire list, because who really wants a list that isn't neat and tidy?

I've created a new list for myself. Not a weekly or even a daily list, not a long-term goals list or a list of names for future pets or a list of body parts that can be pierced. This is my "To Do Before I Die" list. It's a really great list.
  1. I'd like to learn to play one song on the piano. This could be challenging, as I am not at all musically gifted. I can sing any lyric to any song written since 1980, but nobody wants to listen. When I was a little girl, I wanted piano lessons. My parents agreed but said I would have to put the piano in my room. I declined their invitation. I still regret it.
  2. I'd like to learn to drive a stick shift. Not because I think it would be fun, but because I think it's a good skill to have. Maybe.
  3. I'd like to own a car that I actually pick out and buy. I'm not talking new, and I'm certainly not talking expensive. But I'm not talking Suppository.
  4. I want to be involved in finding a cause and a cure for autism.
  5. I'd like to have feet pretty enough for sandals. I wear flips now, but I shouldn't be allowed to...my feet are just that ugly. But I would like pretty feet. I didn't say everything on this list was possible.
  6. I'd like to learn to cook one full meal (not spaghetti). This is another challenge, as I don't enjoy cooking and don't have much talent in the kitchen department. This is not a desire for myself; it's more for SuperHubby. Plus, it would be great if I needed it. If your children have ever told you, on day 3 of your husband being in the hospital, "Mommy, can we have a different flavor pop tart today?" - it may be time to learn. (yes, this really happened)
  7. I want to take my children to Disney. And maybe Legoland.
  8. I'd like to be half as smart as I am organized.
  9. I'd like to become a good housekeeper (moving up from "good enough").
  10. I want to ride a horse. Apparently I rode a horse when I was about 2 or 3, although I have no recollection of it, but we have pictures. I am wearing a hideous cowgirl outfit, which perfectly matches the ones my brother and 5 cousins are wearing. Complete with hats. Even the horse felt sorry for us.
  11. I'd like to ride in an airplane without being (a) completely terrified, (b) heavily medicated, or (c) dead.
  12. I want to lead a small group. I have the plan. I need the guts.
  13. I'd like to not turn a thousand shades of red whenever spoken to, looked at or breathed on.
  14. I want to learn American Sign Language.
  15. I'd like to teach someone something important - although I'm not quite sure what.
  16. I want to have really cool glasses. The kind where people stop on the street and say, "Wow, what a trendsetter. That chick is wearing some groovy glasses."
  17. I want to write a book.
  18. I'd like to be a foster parent.
  19. I'd like to have the occasion to wear my tiara. FrogBoy gave it to me for Mother's Day. It is heart-shaped and has jewels that light up (blinking) at the touch of a button.
  20. I'd like to go swimming. In a pool. I haven't done that since 1994, the year I became pregnant with Spanky. I decided I was fat, then I was fat, then I had a baby and was paranoid, then I got pregnant (and fat) again, and I stayed fat. But I love to swim.
  21. I'd like to live in a house with 2 toilets, a screened porch and a laundry room that's located somewhere other than the garage.
  22. I want to be the best wife to SuperHubby and mom to Spanky and FrogBoy that I can be.

I also have a dream on my list ... That all women will experience at least one fantastic hair day and own one fabulous purse. Everyone deserves that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great list. I could have done without awakening the repressed memories of that cowboy picture, though. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

You can mark off #17- you are in the process of doing that!
And I DO own one fabulous purse- in fact, SO fabulous, that I can't seem to find another one I like. Nothing can compare.
And your cookies...THAT'S pretty close!

Anonymous said...

Oh- and I forgot- GIRL, wear the tiara!
Every day is a reason...it's good to be queen!

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » »