Sunday, November 16, 2008

Denis Leary is Stupid

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine brought to my attention that Denis Leary, a very unattractive actor, has an opinion on autism. Well of course he does...who doesn't these days?

According to Denis, "There is a huge boom in autism right now because inattentive mothers and competitive dads want an explanation for why their dumb-ass kids can't compete academically, so they throw money into the happy laps of shrinks ... to get back diagnoses that help explain away the deficiencies of their junior morons," calling such children "stupid" or "lazy" rather than autistic.

Okey dokey. I can certainly see how Denis could be confused. Clearly he has a medical degree. How did I miss that announcement?

I could really go off on Denis Leary right now. Trust me. If you know me, you realize the title of this post is FAR from my original thought...but I decided I wanted people to keep reading if they clicked on the blog to begin with.

So let me just point out what is obvious to me. Denis Leary certainly does not know the heartbreak that comes from being told there is something wrong with your child. Even when you already knew. Especially when you already knew. He also probably can't fathom how you could not only continue to love that child, but to actually love that child more because of their disability, and celebrate every single milestone - large and small - with them, for them, because of them.

My child has autism. He's not stupid or lazy. He actually made all Bs (with one C in science) on his last report card. And he's consistently done that since being diagnosed with autism. I guess we forgot to tell him he had a free pass to underperform.

Is he quirky? You bet. Does he exhaust us mentally, physically, emotionally? Sometimes. But more often than not, he makes my heart soar, he makes me laugh, he makes me proud of all of his accomplishments, and he makes me grateful to a God that would entrust his well-being to me.

Before he was diagnosed, I wasn't as ignorant as Denis Leary, but I was pretty close. My beliefs on autism cented around Rain Man. Holy crap, I couldn't handle that. Thank God my children were perfect. Well guess what? They aren't...and I can.

I've always had a firm belief that Michael doesn't get to use autism as an excuse for anything. He actually doesn't even know he has the diagnosis...and I'm fine with keeping it that way. He realizes he gets some special treatment at school, like getting taken out of class for certain tests and getting copies of someone's notes so he doesn't hold the whole class up while he writes every letter perfectly, but if he forgets to do his homework (or simply chooses not to), I send his teacher an email and remind her that he deserves detention...just like anyone else.

He's not stupid. And he doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Can Denis Leary say the same?

4 comments:

Super Rog said...

Just so you know,I think that Dennis Leery is a belly button. Or as I like to refer to him...an Abs Hole.

Super Rog said...

Oh also just so you know...Michael is one of the coolest kids I know.
I LOVE it when he says that the scripture comes from "Geniuses"

BTW read that book I gave you called "I'm Sick of Hearing About Your Perfect Kid." It has great ways to deal with morons like Leery

bluestrain said...

I'm tired of the Denis Leary's of the world taking everything they don't understand and labeling it as a defect of character. Who among us really undertands the working of the human brain? Who among us knows what causes Michael to need to form his letters perfectly, or my step-son to fear crowds, or my ex-wife to swing from brilliance to despair. There is a world out there of people whose minds run differently than most of us. Not worse, not flawed, but differently. I hope Mr. Leary never has to deal with one of those people, because it's obvious can't see them *as* people. I'll pray that someday he gets it.
"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well."
Psalms 139:14
bluestrain aka dthacker

Anonymous said...

What an awful-awful-awful man.


Dee