Friday, March 20, 2009

What Do YOU Want to Be When You Grow Up?

On the way home from school yesterday, FrogBoy asked, "When's payday?" How strange. I said "Tomorrow" and figured that was that. It wasn't.

Seems my payday is his payday. Or so he thinks. I tried explaining that he doesn't get an allowance, to which he responded, "Aw man. I really need to get some money. I need to buy some things."

Since it would never occur to Spanky to EARN money, I figured I'd take this as far as it would go. I asked what he thought he might like to do to earn money. His first choice? A lemonade stand. Sounded like a lot of work to me, so I told him we didn't have any lemons and asked for another idea. Then it got fun.

"I could be a personal chef."

"For the family? Are you going to help Daddy cook dinner?"

"No, I'll be a Lego chef. I'll make Lego meals."

"Well, that doesn't really help the family, so I can't see why we'd pay you for that. What else do you have?"

"I could be a weatherman."

"Oh, you mean you'd tell us the weather?"

"Sure."

"Well, they do that on TV. What else?"

And then, the angels sang.

"Well, I could help you with the laundry. I could fold clothes and hang up shirts. Would that help?"

Oh yeah, Froggie. Now you're speaking my language.

1 comment:

Coach Sal said...

The money thing is always a point of concern in our house. We've never successfully implemented a coordinated system of allowances and chores that works long-term. Our kids do work (especially in the spring and summer, when cutting the grass is a big job that I don't do alone anymore), and they do get money when they need it. But we've never managed to link regular work with regular pay. Seems to me that it would work better if kids had regular bills. I've had David say, "I'd rather not have money than cut grass this weekend." (not that it matters, he still has to cut it.) But if he had to earn money to make ends meet (like I used to do to gas my car), that would change the equation.