Sunday, May 11, 2008

Whatever Happened to SuperHeroes??

Being mom to 2 boys, I know all about superheroes. Batman, Superman, Bibleman, LarryBoy (no, not my brother, the Veggie Tales dude)...they start early and just keep getting impressed by these wonderful crimefighters. It's a boy thing.

And I'm fine with that. But here's what I'm not fine with. This afternoon, while having a lovely Huddle House lunch with Spanky, he commented that there was a bad word in one of his comics. Really?!? In one superfast Mommy-movement, I gathered up said comic and glanced at the page he was reading. And he was right.

As a matter of fact, in the first 3 pages, I found 6 expletives...the superbad ones. Being more than a little offended, I confiscated said comic immediately...and all other comics at once when we returned home.

And now, because someone somewhere doesn't realize comics are for kids, I have to read 9 billion comic books to make sure they're fit for 13-year-old consumption.

Seriously. Do we need ratings on comics? Isn't it bad enough that a PG-13 movie can actually drop the F-bomb once without losing the PG-13 rating? PG-13 is SUPPOSED to mean its acceptable for a 13-year-old. And friends, that word is certainly NOT acceptable for my child.

So I'm a little miffed. Why does society have our children growing up so fast...and not in a good way? When I was 13, I saw R movies...but they were tamer than PG-13s of today. And comics? My brother gave all his oldie-but-goodies to my son last year...and sadly, those will probably be the only ones he's allowed to keep.

Kids should be kids. Comics are for kids. Let's leave the filthy language out and go back to having a good old-fashioned superhero-saves-the-day-and-gets-the-bad-guy story. THAT'S entertainment.

3 comments:

Coach Sal said...

I gotta know, which comic? And which character? I agree that all comics should be tame, but in terms of character development, it would be even worse for Superman to cuss than, say, Wolverine.

As for the "R" vs. "PG-13" thing, I'm not so sure. It used to be that to get an "R" you had to have the f-bomb and/or nekkid people. But if you just avoided those, you could have some pretty nasty language in a PG. "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," for example, is just out there, language-wise--it would have gotten the "13" tag if it existed in '86. But now I've gotten where I can't watch some stuff even when it's cut for the networks.

Lori Fitzgerald said...

The hero in question was Batman. Maybe because he's a mere mortal with really cool toys, he's more prone to the nasty language.

However, he dropped both "b" words, the "h" word, the "d" word, the "a" word and the "gd" word...

So he's not on my good list right now.

Mrs. K said...

Long time reader first time poster!
I hear you on the PG-13 we watched a movie this weekend with our 15 and 13years olds and it saved the f-bomb til about 2 minutes til the end of the movie...i gasped and my 15 year old informed me of the one time rule...are you kidding? Now i know my 13 year old ( girl) has informed she has heard it on the bus for the past few years (UGH!)but i have on purpose not rented any rated R movies for the past 15 years so to aviod the "really" bad language...now i have to worry about PG-13 too!Don't get me started on the sex in these movies geared toward the pre=teen early teen-agers...
just as a long winded aside...my daughter when she was in 6th grade her teacher put on the movie SpaceBalls and it was rated PG and they dropped the F-bomb! the teacher was horrified she had allowed the movie to play without pre-viewing it and apologized to the class...still what does this word add to any movie is my question?! Take it out it's still the same movie!!!