Thursday, December 15, 2005

Up on the Rooftop

Yesterday we had a visit from one of my most favorite people in the world: Tim, the pest control guy. While it may sound odd to enjoy the company of your exterminator, if you understand and appreciate my complete dislike of pests (of any and every kind), this will make perfect sense.

I've been telling SuperHubby that I'm hearing things in the attic, which I have jokingly begun calling the rattic, but since he's mostly deaf, I end up trying to mimic the sounds (much to his amusement). And, of course, I have no proof there' s anything up there. So I asked my buddy Tim to check things out.

The news was not good. In fact, it was horrible. Apparently, we have a rat. Gross. But Tim, in his very sweet manner, told me the good news is that it's a roof rat. Wow, that makes me feel much better. He assured me that the rat didn't want to come be with me, that they were called roof rats because they like the attic and the trees. I assured Tim the rat and I were of like minds; I don't really want him to come be with me either. He also tried to make me feel better by telling me it looked like there was only one. It didn't work.

I had to leave the house for an extended period of time last night. I told SuperHubby I wanted to move. I am so creeped out it isn't even funny.

Then today I did the dumbest thing ever. I looked up "roof rat" on the internet. Don't know what I thought I'd see...maybe a picture of Mickey waving and smiling? Well, let me just share, that's not what I had staring back at me. Now my problem is compounded by actually knowing what's up there.

Tim swears the stupid thing can't get downstairs and visit. I just hope it doesn't get confused and decide to take up residency in the Christmas tree.

3 comments:

danohlerking said...

we actually did move due to rats in the ceiling once. out of a rental house, but once i found the rats up there, we didn't spend another night in the house. i could have, but i'd have been alone without my wife.

it was great to read that we're not the only ones who don't like the idea of living with rats - roof rats or otherwise. that's like when the lifeguard at the beach in the philippines told me all the sharks there were friendly. sorry. there is no friendly shark, no non-poisonous snake and certainly no rat i want to tolerate in my roof.

my advice - buy a roof cat. let him get the roof rat.

Anonymous said...

If Tim is an exterminator why not ask him to come back and EXTERMINATE the beast?

Anonymous said...

I had rats in my ceiling once, they came and set traps, then the rats died... and STUNK up the whole place.

It was terrible.