Friday, December 09, 2005

What a Ride

I'm a pretty groovy chick. I listen to a good mix of 80s tunes and classic rock. I have excellent hair. I own fabulous purses and am extremely organized (thanks, in part, to my many, many daytimers). I actually use the word "groovy" frequently, and not just in describing myself. I am terribly humble.

And yet I drive an extremely un-groovy van. A lot of people would think driving a mini-van immediately pushes you into the un-groovy realm, but that isn't the case. A Chrysler Town and Country is a very cool ride. A giant golden suppository, not so much.

This past weekend, our family took a little road trip. We met a friend of mine in Columbia. She lives in Greenville so it was halfway for both of us and we got to spend the day together. Our husbands were both very good boys and came along for the ride, even though I'm sure they both would have much preferred watching football or going to a hockey game or cleaning the garage. Not only did they not complain, they actually acted like they enjoyed themselves, which was a wonderful perk.

Since we have 2 terrible, awful, beat up, run down cars, we decide to rent something reliable for the day. I was going to go for a mid-size but my friend Doodles pointed out I could rent a Jeep Cherokee for only $10 more. Sold!

The dumb people didn't have a Cherokee, but they did have a Toyota Highlander. Now I have issues with Toyotas, simply because they are the ones that thought the suppository was a good design, but we went with it. And this was a SWEET little SUV.

I'm sure part of it was that we don't have to put gas in it 2-3 times a week. And part of it was that we don't have to make a car or insurance payment on it. Factor in that it was exceptionally clean (I guess that happens with some people, not so much with us) and I was in love! Plus, the radio worked (it actually worked very well, but working period is a bonus for us) and the ride was only bumpy when you went over bumps (another novel idea). This is what I call a luxury car.

The suppository didn't speak to me for a couple of days. She was ticked. I don't blame her. I betrayed her and then bragged about it.

On the way to school this week, I spotted my Jeep Cherokee. I pointed it out the boys. Told them it was my dream car, didn't they love it, etc. And Spanky informed me that he thought it was ugly. UGLY. I was shocked. Appalled. Bowled over --- when he informed me he much preferred the suppository, since it has more room.

Whatever. I do love the suppository. She gets me where I'm going. But she doesn't fit my hip image. We've gotta work on that.

No comments: