Friday, April 07, 2006

Words of Wisdom

April is National Autism Awareness Month. I never knew this until I had a child who was diagnosed with autism. Amazing how we live in our own little world, isn't it?

Now I get a monthly newsletter from the SC Center for Disabilities. This is a really cool place (in my humble opinion). They have tons of resources available, and offer them just like a library, only they mail them to you at your request, send you an envelope to mail them back, and boom! You have a little light (ha!) reading at your fingertips.

This month, being Autism Awareness Month, they had a great Top 10 list. I'm going to totally steal it because it's good.

10 Things I Have Learned About Life While Raising an Autistic Child
1. Austim or not, they are still a blessing.
2. There is no such thing as "normal."
3. No two are alike.
4. How autistic I really am.
5. If I stay calm, it will have a domino effect.
6. Don't stay in denial; no one gets better there.
7. Major the majors and minor the minors (or...don't sweat the small stuff).
8. A sense of humor is EVERYTHING.
9. A simple smile can tell me more than one word.
10. Miracles happen every day if you know where to look.

These are good lessons for every parent. Every adult. Every child. But I can't begin to explain how true they are in our family. How many times have I said, "OHMIGOSH, if that's all it takes, then I'm CERTAINLY autistic!" How many times have I thought, "I have to laugh, or I'm gonna cry?" (most recently: 6:45 this morning, Harris Teeter, U-Scan aisle). How many times have I thought, "I wouldn't have chosen for him to have autism, but I wouldn't change him for the world." How many times have I thanked God for FrogBoy doing something any other almost-8 year old has been doing for years?

We've got it so good. We are truly blessed. He is such a miracle I can't put it into words. It's a crazy ride, hard sometimes, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

2 comments:

Chris Cree said...

Wow. I need to put those lessons to work in my life!

Anonymous said...

I'll cry for you! That one really got me :-)