Monday, November 26, 2007

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I love Thanksgiving. It is by far my most favorite holiday. You get all the great food (usually) with all the great family time, but where we live, you can still wear shorts. That's nice. You don't have to rush around to a million places (at least we don't), and you don't have to schlep anything with you but your kids and whatever dishes you signed up to bring to the meal. Again, very nice.

But the best part of this time of year is that I get to start organizing for the NEXT year. Oh baby! I have to hold myself off from August to November, but once we hit Thanksgiving, all bets are off. At least in August I can appease myself with new school supplies and the joy that comes from (a) smelling and (b) organizing new pencils and packs of notebook paper. But I digress.

The thing that really makes my heart sing is gearing up for a new year. I get to have all new, fresh, unwritten-on file folders. My Quicken program starts on a new year. Two words: NEW DAYTIMER!!! A new year is a thing of beauty.

I know, most people dread filing away the old and starting over with the new. But I crave it. So does my brother. (It may be inherited.) I have finally managed to convince Spanky to let me help him organize his room by telling him that we have to make room for all the Christmas gifts he's going to get. Oh, like you never lied to your kids just to get some simple enjoyment out of cleaning their room?

FrogBoy is pretty well organized. He likes his Legos just so...and before he goes to bed at night, he fills the 8 (yes, 8) boxes back up and stacks them neatly on the storage cubes in the corner of his room. I guess that's a huge blessing of autism...even if he doesn't really like to do it, I only had to tell him a couple of times and now it's a routine...so he's going to do it. It's ingrained in his innermost being. I love that!

If you need me between now and January 1, I will probably be sitting at my desk organizing my papers - with a huge grin on my face (commonly referred to as the Salley grin). Oh happy day!

6 comments:

Super Rog said...

So you need a combined RED Fossil Purse and day timer.

Cindy and the Wards said...

2 Words..."CLEANSING STREAMS"

Coach Sal said...

I'm sure you already know this, but I read this post and broke out in an identical "Salley Grin." I'm thinking of upgrading to Quicken 2008, too. What fun!

Lori said...

I found a complete system of color coded files, complete with labels, online for only $29.95. COLOR CODED! I am thinking of putting it on my Christmas list!

Coach Sal said...

I can't do the color-coded. Color me plain-vanilla (or should I say, plain-manila). Because if you went red, yellow, blue, green, red, yellow, blue, green, and then you had to insert a file alphabetically, you'd then need to re-do the entire drawer. It's hard enough to tolerate the folder tabs not always lining up. Boy, we've got it bad.

Lori Fitzgerald said...

It's the Easy File, available for $29.95 at www.simplifiedsolutions.org. Even if you don't want to order it, check it out...it will give you great ideas.