Sunday, August 17, 2008

Top 5 Things I Love about the Olympics

Unless you've been under a rock recently, the biggest thing going these days is the Olympics. Everybody loves the Olympics. They are so big that the two guys in Georgia claim to have a dead Big Foot in a freezer, and are they getting any press time? No. They came out with it in the middle of Olympic Fever. Next time, they should take a page from Lizard Man and come up with their craziness in the middle of October.

But I digress. I've been thinking about what I really love about the Olympics. It's certainly not watching the events. I have a hard time getting interested if the US isn't competing, and even then I have a hard time if it's some random, unheard-of faux sport. So without further ado, my top 5 reasons that I love the Olympics.

#5 - The scandals. Someone always does something to offend someone else. This year, we were lucky enough as a nation to be involved. Our cyclists got off the plane with surgical masks covering their faces...because of the smog. That's a nice kick in the groin to your host.

#4 - The opening ceremonies. These are awesome. As soon as they find out they're the host city, they go into overdrive prepping for a better-than-ever event. Bejing was spectacular. AND they managed to toss in a little scandal (see above) when they had an adorable little girl represent their country and lip-sync while a talented, pudgy little girl got no credit whatsoever. Awesome.

Bronze - The underdog stories. Oh, we always have these, don't we? The guy who was born in poverty, escaped to America, and now is carrying the torch for his team because he overcame all these trials. That's what it's all about.

Silver - The commercials. I LOVE the commercials. This year, they had Olympic preview commercials. One was about Keri Strug doing her perfect vault on a broken ankle. The other - my fave - was about some guy (can't remember his name) who got injured and came in dead last - with his dad helping him. Love that crap. I'm crying right now.

Gold - When the USA wins and they play our song. Okay, whatever, it's great whoever wins. That's the Olympic spirit. But in all honesty, when one of our guys/girls/teams is on that slightly-higher-than-the-others block, and our flag is waving and our song is playing, there's just nothing better. It makes you feel like you somehow had a hand in it, just by virtue of being an American. That's awesomeness.

Of course, I like to see all the wonderful sportsmanship and it's great to live vicariously through these athletes as they experience what might possibly be the greatest moments of their lives, but these, friends, are my top five Olympic moments.

29 comments:

Coach Sal said...

Agreed 100%. I'd rather stand on that podium with Olympic gold (preferably in the 100 or the mile, but I'm not picky) than win a super bowl, an NBA title, or pretty much anything else. I just blogged my "professional" opinion on the Olympics, myself. Send your readers to http://coachsal.blogspot.com so I can get some hits, too!

PS--Happy early Birthday!

Super Rog said...

Egad Lorie. Aren't you going to put a new post up?

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

I'm going to keep posting until you or Jessica G helps me find a girlfriend

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

I've won 16 trophies in competitive public speaking. I'd rather win those than any Olympic event.

How about now?

Super Rog said...

See, this is why I need a girlfriend.

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

I'm in class and the instructor is late.

How about now?

Super Rog said...

Ok he's here now. Hopefully you'll have updated by the time we're done at 4:30.

How about now?

Super Rog said...

Well we were done at 4:30 but I've been busy watching Smallville on DVD.

How about now?
How about now?
How about now?
How about now?
How about now?
(I love cut and paste)
How about now?
How about now?
How about now?
How about now?

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

Break time.

How about now?

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

How about now?

Super Rog said...

How about now?