Friday, March 17, 2006

Happiness Defined

Last week, I had to go to MUSC several times. Now, for those who know me, let me begin by saying this was NOT for SuperHubby. I was there with a friend. A boneheaded friend, who rode his motorcycle without a helmet, but a friend nonetheless.

So one day I take his children up to see him. Oh, did I mention The Suppository was dead for almost 2 weeks? Yepper. So...I take these children to see their dad, and I drop them off. And I'm driving SuperHubby's sporty little Nissan Sentra. Here's where it gets good.

I go to leave the parking lot. Lot G. I'm very familiar with Lot G ... I park there whenever I go to MUSC. It's the best place to park. But I digress.

So I'm leaving Lot G. And the guy in the toll booth, who has been there for years (literally), looks and me square in the eye and says - wait for it - "Oh, are you a student?"

Glory. I understand the mistake. I'm extraordinarily adorable, and I was have a terrific hair day (okay, that goes without saying). But that doesn't happen when I'm driving the suppository.

I beamed at the guy. I told him no, thank you, but he had just made my night. He insisted that he really, truly thought I was a student. I told him I was 35, married and the mother of 2 young boys....but if he kept it up, I was giving him my phone number.

People started honking. I didn't care. I realized halfway home that I was grinning like a doofus and singing at the top of my lungs (okay, I do both of those things a lot, but not usually at the same time).

I love this guy. It may have been dark out, he may have been drinking heavily during his breaks, but he made my day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does this fall into the "all things work together for good..." category? You know: bone-headed friend does something stupid, gets mangled, leading to LoriFitz getting her ego stroked by drunk parking lot attendant....
Isn't that special???????
By the way, your hair does look marvelous today. How do you like mine? (Oh yeah, I forgot; I don't have any. Never mind.)
Doug