Thursday, January 24, 2008

SuperDaddy
...or, My Life Bites

I guess it's only fair. However, it still came as a shock to me when Spanky decided this week, during his stay at MUSC, that he preferred Daddy over Mommy. When did this happen?! As best as I can tell, it went something like this...

Jan 11 - Spanky turned 13
Jan 11 + 3 seconds - Spanky decided Daddy was the parent of choice

Now this was a difficult thing for me. Let's face it: I've always been the favorite. (Before you start sending in nasty comments, SH would agree with this point, so it's not like I'm stating anything but fact there.)

Anyway, Spanky never really went to sleep after his surgery Monday night. He rested when they gave him pain medicine, but he never really slept. And when I tried to send SH home for a nap and a shower on day 2, Spanky really threw a fit. He allowed SH to leave, but under much protest. Then the nurse came in and suggested we change his gown. Bad idea. I tried talking sense to him. I tried consoling him. Nothing. Then he said something that almost made me laugh. Or cry. Or cuss.

"I need Daddy. He has EXPERIENCE with this sort of thing."

EXCUSE ME?!?!?

In my ever sweet, loving way, I asked my son who the heck he thought took care of Daddy when HE has surgery. Then came blow # 2. "He takes care of himself." OUCH.

It really took everything I had in me not to lecture him right then and there. He was incapicitated, so he would have had to have listened. I opted for a mere "Kid, you need to face reality" and moved on. Still, it stung.

Spanky has been at MUSC since Monday afternoon. Yes, for those counting, that's 4 days - for a normally 24-hour operation. I have had plenty of time to wallow in self-pity this week concerning the things my child has said to me. I am quite sure he never would have done that if he'd had surgery before he was a teenager.

Meanwhile, he probably gets to come home tomorrow, providing his colon wakes up. All other signs of "issues" have left the Spankster, so we're well on the way to "normal" (whatever that is!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

still praying for poop

bekster said...

It's not that he hates you now, it's that he is taking you for granted, which, in a way, is an even higher form of love.

Well, maybe not.

Just be glad he has a Daddy. These days, that's not so common...

Super Rog said...

It reminds me of a time when I had a surgery. Afterwards, the nurses were trying to help me get dressed and I told them that only my dad could do that. I really thought they didn't need to see me like that.

Of course, Spankey is 13...I was 36 at the time.

I was also coming off the night-night meds they gave for the surgery, otherwise I'd of probably flirted.

Super Rog said...

Egad woman. Stop visiting my blog just to mess with me and update yours.