Monday, November 14, 2005

Turn Out the Lights, The Party's Over

Thursday was a pretty good day. Until I got home. Flipped the light switch, nothing. Flipped a few more, still nothing. Proceeded to flip my lid. Is this for real?

I called the electric company. These people are not the smartest. Long story short, they screwed up my account and, although I've paid them exactly what I was supposed to pay them for the past 3 months, and they were able to verify that, they felt compelled to turn off my power. Nice.

It was 3:30. Okay, it's not cold and it's not dark. I can handle this. FrogBoy is getting anxious but it's all good. We start homework. They said they'd be by in 2 hours or less. Not a problem.

Precisely 2 hours later, FrogBoy is frantic and I'm quickly losing patience. I call back. Oh yeah, the day man goes off the clock at 4:00 and it switches to a new guy. Pray tell, when might I expect my lights to come back on? Oh, they assured me it would be before the Night Guy goes off duty... AT 11:00!

Now I'm not too happy. I begin to speak a little louder than before. I start explaining to every single person I get on the phone that, hello, my son is autistic and he's jonesing over here and I need help. They were all very sympathetic, but oddly enough, couldn't promise me anything before 11:00. After speaking to 5 different people (my favorite being Dana, who just hung up on me), I decided to do something drastic: we went shopping.

Here's the thing: I was now 6:00. And very dark. And we were hungry. SuperHubby met us and we had dinner, then he took FrogBoy and I took Spanky and we went our separate ways. By the time SuperHubby and the Frogster returned home, we had power. So I guess it worked out.

I have a couple of issues with this whole thing:
1. The first lady I talked to, very nice, but not so bright. Told me since it was a "mutual" misunderstanding, she wouldn't charge me a re-connection fee. Hello, how does their mistake become "mutual"?
2. No one responded to the trouble I was having because of FrogBoy. I don't usually play the autism card, but when I do, I do it because I want results. This did not work out so well for me.
3. There's only one company I can use for electric service, so regardless of what happens, I'm stuck.

Because my power was out all day Thursday, my phones didn't charge and were out all day Friday and Saturday. This meant no blogging...which was upsetting, considering I had STUFF to say. Anyway, I'm back, and I'm in rare form!

No comments: