Tuesday, November 22, 2005

When It Rains, It Pours

Can I gripe for a minute? (Would it matter if you said "no"?)

Yesterday it monsooned. Lots and lots of water. From the sky. I love rain...when I'm inside and don't have anywhere to go and can crawl in bed with a candle going and the radio on and my cross-stitch by my side. But I had to take the boys to school. Calling in wet wasn't an option.

Typical of the day starting off with a downpour, my attitude was not the best. I managed to break 4 - count 'em, 4! - nails just trying to get into the suppository without messing up my 'do. Didn't work, and I lost 4 nails in the process.

Somewhere along Whipple Road, I hit a tremendous about of water puddling on the road. It would appear, from what happened afterwards, that this is not a good thing. The suppository sputtered. She shook. Then she stalled.

Comments from the backseat (FrogBoy) included: "Oh great, now I'm going to be late!" He the proceeded to ask me if my radio was working. How about the wipers? Maybe you need to call Daddy. The sad thing is, I actually was listening to the kid and checking the radio and the wipers.

Spanky was frantic. He's on Safety Patrol, and he's been promoted to top grade, meaning he has car duty. This is high class for 5th grade. And now I was making him late. (How did this turn into me against them?)

SuperHubby's on his way. I try the suppository again. She cranks. She doesn't want to go, but she putters to the school. We manage to get everyone where they need to be, and SH follows me to church.

SH then decides to start asking questions. Always a bad sign. And I learned something very valuable. Apparently, when the oil light comes on in the car, that's not merely a suggestion. The car really needs oil.

I sat around and fretted most of the morning about killing the suppository. Don't get me wrong, I want her to die, just not until I have my red Jeep Grand Cherokee. Or something very similar.

To top it all off, we had major commitments last night, none of which could be rescheduled, and we really needed 2 cars. I was a little cranky. I yelled at my boss.

In the end, everyone got to school on time, my nails and hair aren't as bad as some people's (I won't mention any names, you know who you are), my boss didn't fire me (yet - MAP at 1:30) and the suppository is still chugging along. That was one prayed for suppository yesterday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did I get yelled at and missed it, or am I no longer your boss?