Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Freaky Freebies

Met my brother and my mother for coffee a couple of nights ago. Technically, that's not 100% accurate: he had coffee; she had a hot chocolate and I had a vanilla steamer.

Anyway, we sat in Books-a-Million for a bit, processing some super-heavy stuff, and somehow, I walked away with a new bedroom suite (from The Professor) and a Louis Vitton purse (from her). HELLO!

I started thinking about some of the other really cool things SuperHubby and I have been blessed with for free. Now see, that's the kicker....my little list had to be comprised of items that were completely no-cost (to us).

We've been given SuperHubby's first hearing aids (actually, the money for them, but close enough). Dinners and gas money out the wazzoo when SuperHubby's been in the hospital. Friends cleaning up the house after the dog exploded during one such hospital episode. (I'm not sure if the 2 people who cleaned my house think of ME as a friend, but they're high on my list!). And, of course, The Giant Golden Suppository.

The suppository is one of my most favorite freebies. She came to us at a time when we only had one car, and not a very good one at that. We still have that car. Anyway, we worked different schedules and had the boys to ferry to and from school, not to mention the regular "life" stuff, and we were given this wonderful van. Shortly thereafter, I realized I was driving around town in a suppository, but I didn't care...I had transportation!

The suppository is slowing nearing the end of her life. I'm sure of it. Spanky touched the tailgate a couple of weeks ago and the word "Previa" fell off. Just fell off. The windshield wipers need to be replaced, but as we found out the last time we needed new ones, they don't make 'em anymore. The muffler sounds terrible (gracias, SuperHubby!) and the thing doesn't crank on cold mornings. The a/c only works during the winter and the heat only works during the summer. And there's that little issue we have in the winter with the window sticking in the "down" position. Unfortunately, the windshield fogs so much that you HAVE to put the window down to merge into traffic...and then it doesn't go up until you have icicles on your nose hairs.

So I'm wondering why there wasn't someone at our coffee party with a Jeep Cherokee (red, please) to give away. I know it's coming. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the dickens out of my Sweet Golden Suppository.

No comments: