Monday, October 31, 2005

Too Much of a Good Thing

So this weekend I was in Target. No real surprise there. And I happened to be frequenting the Target in North Chuck. This is close to my house ... and all Targets are the same anyway ... so I was okay with it.

The problem started when I walked through those glorious Target doors. I was immediately accosted by an employee in a red Target shirt, asking "Can I help you find something?" Seriously? This is Target, right? I mumbled, "No, I'm just looking" and ran away. Yeah, that sounded intelligent.

I hadn't gotten much further inside the door when yet another employee felt compelled to ask "Can I help you find something today?" I thought about saying "No, but try again tomorrow" but I didn't want to engage her in conversation. I happily replied "I know just what I'm looking for!" (lie) and ran away.

I rounded a corner and that same darned employee was standing there. She yelled "Can I help you find anything?" (although I'm pretty sure she was laughing by this point) and I said "Nope, got it!" and held up a box of Depends. I wasn't going to be stalked any further.

This got me to thinking. What's up with Target??? Do they not realize they are Target? I mean, when I go to a NICE store, like Carolina Girls, and I'm looking to buy a Vera Bradley purse, I expect them to ask if they can help me. We're talking bucks here. Not that I'm going to let them help me, but I expect them to ask. But not at Target. That's like Publix or Taco Bell asking if you're looking for something specific.... Obviously you are, or you wouldn't be there.

I applaud Target for trying to step it up in the customer service department. I just think they've gone overboard. Maybe just hand out gift cards at the front door. That, to me, says "We appreciate your business."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Target (or any store for that matter) hands out gift cards at the door, would you please call me?

Anonymous said...

This has been a really good day. Hey Lori Fitzgerald. I was surfing the search engines for purse and handbag related websites using the keyword bourke dooney purse and found your awesome page with the title this post. I am looking for ideas on how to improve my own site using different keywords and was amazed how easy it was to find your site using the keyword bourke dooney purse. Perhaps we could do a link exchange at some point. Anyway, thanks for your time and I’m glad I found your site.

Anonymous said...

I am, or was, surfing and found you. Ever wonder about who came up with the term "surfing"? The wave of the Internet. Back to looking for custom photo purse and stuff. Have a good one.