Thursday, February 16, 2006

Happy Birthday

Today was my grandfather's birthday. He died 20 years ago, come this April 2nd. I was almost 5 months from my 16th birthday.

I think about my Granddaddy a lot. Maybe not as much as I used to, maybe not as much as I should, but a lot.

I miss him when we all get together and someone makes homemade ice cream. I miss him when his great-grandkids are running around like a pack of wild monkeys. I miss him when my dad needs someone to yank a knot in his tail (such a sweet Southern way of saying he needs an attitude adjustment). I miss him when I watch Perry Mason on TV - not old, gray, chunky Perry, but young, sauve, debonair Perry. I miss him on holidays and Grandmama's birthday.

So today I've been thinking about Granddaddy. He would have enjoyed watching me and my brother grow up, get married and have kids. He would have enjoyed walking my aunt down the aisle at her wedding to Mr. Perfect (he really is!). He would have enjoyed a lot.

We're missing out. Happy birthday, Granddaddy. I miss you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You made my day...maybe you are good kid after all.