Monday, February 06, 2006

Life with SuperHubby

SuperHubby is so adorable. We've been married 14 years this May, and in that time, he's had 5 brain surgeries, 2 nose surgeries, 3 ear surgeries, 2 oral surgeries, and had his appendix removed. He has none of his original parts from the neck up. Oh, and he has asthma pretty fierce too.

A guy like this should be careful. Maybe become Bubble Boy. But no. I have to marry a SuperStud.

He was a runner when we met; in fact, he met my brother through cross country and track and that's how I met SH. So it was no surprise when, shortly after he started losing his hearing, he decided to run a marathon to raise money for a local camp for deaf children. I was behind him 100%. And he did an awesome job.

Then shortly after one of his brain surgeries (I don't remember which one), he decided that he should run an ultra-marathon. For you non-sports types, that's 31.2 miles. Was I excited? Not so much. Did I supported him in the freezing cold rain for 5 hours? You betcha.

This man is amazing. He holds a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and is a red belt in Tang Soo Do. He's also a green belt in Hai Dung Gum Do (that's sword fighting, folks). Now, there's contact in karate, but he's careful, so I try not to panic too much. His current instructor is very good at keeping an eye on him and making sure he's breathing, which is a perk, so things go pretty well in the whole karate deal.

SuperHubby is a SuperStud. He's an assistant instructor in Tang Soo Do and teaches classes twice a week. Even though he wears a dress when he's sword fighting, he still looks hot in his other uniform, and when he breaks through boards with hand or foot techniques, it's a really cool deal when you know what he's been through to get there.

But now comes the real test. SH has been invited to compete at an international karate tournament in Korea this summer. And while I'm terribly excited for and proud of him, I'm more than a little nervous about sending him halfway around the world, where I can't keep an eye on him. It's as bad as sending Spanky to camp.

The kicker is SH has to raise the money to go to Korea. I may have an out. If he can't come up with a fantastic fundraiser or 12, he's not going to come up with the cash, and I don't have to worry. Of course, I don't want that to happen, because I want him to succeed and be happy, so we've been brainstorming ideas for the past couple of weeks.

So while I hate to ask for personal favors in my blog, it really is all about me, which you already know if you're reading it. Anyone have any great fundraising ideas? There's 3 people from the school that need to raise money for the trip, and it's quite expensive, so we need good ideas. And I'm plum out!

It's not easy being married to a SuperStud. Who knows what his next adventure will be...Skydiving? Roller derby? I don't know...

2 comments:

super Hubby said...

THEY ARE PANTS!!! Granted you could fit a small church congregation in each leg but they are still pants. That's not just any tourney. That is the World Championships. OOOHHH AAHH! Maybe that will get us some better ideas. Cash will work too.

S/H

Rick said...

sell the dress/pants on ebay? just thinking outside the box, y'all.