Thursday, July 05, 2007

Flip Your Flops Off

I've been hearing a lot lately about how bad flip flops are for your feet. Personally, I'm inclined to believe all the hype. I generally try to ignore what the crowd is saying and forge my own way, but I have had some experience with bad feet, so I think I know whereof I speak.

For many years, I chose to wear traditional shoes, even in the summer. It didn't matter that my feet would sweat buckets. My ego had taken a hit when I was dating SuperHubby and he told me I had Fred Flintstone toes. (For those not in the know, that means my toes are stubby little nubs, like Fred's, from stopping the car with his feet). Anyway. The sad part is his was entirely correct and honest in his assessment.

Then I started noticing something. Not a lot of people have pretty feet. I'm sure some people do, but not a lot - and I can say this with near certainty because I work at Seacoast, where no one wears anything other than flips from March to October. And there are some funky feet around our office.

So a couple of summers ago, I decided to throw caution to the wind and start wearing flips. Out in public. And you know what? No one died of shock, no one barfed, and my feet were a lot cooler throughout the day. It was a glorious thing.

Fast forward to a several months ago, when my back was hurting so bad I couldn't hardly get out of bed. Being extremely quick on the uptake, I realized this probably had something to do with my very fashionable poor choice of footwear. I'd heard flips were terrible for your back (posture issues, gets you all out of alignment, dumb stuff like that). So I went out and bought a pair of crocs. Quite possibly the ugliest shoes around. But within 2 days, I could bend over and move and my back wasn't hurting anymore. I even did a little jig at work to prove I had been healed. (seriously - I have at least 5 witnesses - none of whom will ever be the same).

Now I believe all the nastiness about flips and all the loveliness about crocs. I am thinking of getting a pair of croc flops. They are semi-cute, and I'm sure they would offer the same cushiony support my ugly brown ones provide. Personally, I'm going more for the cute factor.

Readers take heed: toss your flips and get some crocs! Your sciatic nerve will thank you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am usually pretty cheap when it comes to buying shoes, so Old Navy flip flops fit the bill. BUT, you are right about them not being good for your back. I have resisted the whole crocs trend because 1) I think they look ugly, 2) everyone has them, and 3) the real ones can be expensive. However, even I have thought about getting the croc flops because they look kind of cute. It still bothers me to pay that much for shoes, though, when I can get my rubber flip flops for five dollars...

Super Rog said...

Do Crocs come in MEN'S footware. I'm talking about those real, he-man types.

Specifically for a real man that's about half the size of John Wayne and so single that he's dating himself.

You know the one that keeps saying he'll take FrogBoy out to go pickup women

Anonymous said...

Go for the CROC's even the expensive ones, best purchase I ever made!