Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Let's Make a Deal

My friend Robin told me this afternoon about a car she saw for sale. It was a black Volvo station wagon, which I have decided is what I would really like to have, for only $5000. That sounds like a good price to me. That also sounds like about $4990 more than we have right now.

I've heard of people doing clever, creative things to raise money for college or to pay off their mortgages early. Some people take out a classified ad and just ask for $1 donation outright. Some people sell recipes. Well, I think it's rather nervy to just ask for $1 donation and not offer anything in return, and I don't cook, therefore I have no recipes to sell. But I've been thinking. Here are a few things I would be willing to allow people to pay me to do:
  1. I could be a personal shopper for purses - or daytimers - or both
  2. I could cut my hair (okay, I wouldn't really do this, but I wanted to sound sincere)
  3. I could sell my extensive collection of phone numbers to restaurants that deliver tasty goodness right to your front door
  4. I could be your friend
  5. I could sell hugs (although I probably wouldn't make anywhere close to $5000)
  6. I could stand next to people in lightning storms, because I have the worst luck of anyone I know, and this would protect whomever was standing next to me
  7. I could win "Don't Forget the Lyrics" (which would be possible only if I got on the show)
  8. I could write a book

While I perfect my list, I will continue carpooling with SuperHubby. If anyone has any stellar ideas, let me know.

2 comments:

Super Rog said...

Well the lightning thing sounds good...but only because you [and most everyone else] are taller than me.

Anonymous said...

Isn't #5 illegal? If not, I'm sure there's someone sad and lonely enough out there to take you up on it. You could visit nursing homes and have the family members of the people pay you to hug their relatives. (That would be funny if there weren't as much truth in it.)