Tuesday, April 15, 2008

10 Things I Learned in First Grade

I originally posted this list in 2006. I totally stole it from the SC Center for Disabilities newsletter. I don't care. I like it, and I'm going to share it (steal it) again. Since we found out FrogBoy had autism when he was in the first grade, my contribution to the post is the clever title.

1. Autism or not, they are still a blessing. (I would like to add the caveat "Most of the time.")

2. There is no such thing as normal.

3. No two are alike. (You ain't just whistling Dixie there!!)

4. How autistic I really am. (Indeed)

5. If I stay calm, it will have a domino effect. (I really wish I could remember this one more...in the moment...)

6. Don't stay in denial; no one gets better there.

7. Major the majors and minor the minors (or...don't sweat the small stuff.)

8. A sense of humor is EVERYTHING.

9. A simple smile can tell me more than one word. (Thank God we have lots of smiles from our Frog Man).

10. Miracles happen every day if you know where to look.

I'd like to close with some profound comment. Unfortunately, I've got nothing. I will say this...even though it's hard, even though I wouldn't have chosen this path, I'm thankful God chose me to be FrogBoy's mom.

No comments: