Thursday, January 12, 2006

Happy Mother's Day

Yesterday my baby turned 11. Eleven. It's hard to imagine it was 11 years ago, when every second of that day is forever etched in my brain. Well, not every second...

Spanky decided he would join us 5 weeks before he was set to arrive. No problem. Being the highly organized and terrified first-time mom that I was, I was packed and ready to go. Good thing. I had lists (of course) for SuperHubby, as I didn't want him screwing anything up if I was unable to guide him through the family notification process, naming the baby, etc. Another good thought for Lori.

I was at my desk at work, having a little snack (which I never got to eat, by the way), decided to call SH, when all you-know-what broke loose. Just like that, grand mal seizure, water broke, straight into labor. Fun. Luckily, I was on the phone with SH and he was there in record time. We're still not sure how many traffic violations he had that day, but he didn't get caught, so we don't care.

Since the Spankster and I both stopped breathing during my 2nd seizure of the day (we never do anything small), they did an emergency C-section. My understanding is that it was much like an episode of ER. The families were called in. Apparently, things didn't look good.

Obviously, since I'm writing this, things turned out fine. After a week of waffling back and forth between is-he-or-isn't-he-going-to-NICU, me being la la for several days, and a lot of frantic prayers from a family that wasn't quite so prayerful before that day, things were good enough for us to go home. Life with a new baby had begun. And what an adventure it's been!

Now I don't usually sit around thinking about that day. It tends to make me very weepy, particularly because I don't remember the majority of it, and I feel like I should remember at least some of the details of my child's birth. SuperHubby is kind enough to repeat the story for me whenever I ask, just so I can feel like I was there. Every so often, as I stare at my scars, I briefly think about that day. But on January 11th, I get very reflective.

All babies are miracles. I was just as thrilled 4 years later when FrogBoy was born. But on January 11th, every year, I am amazed by the miracle that is Spanky. We are truly blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. The love you share is encouraging.

Anonymous said...

I have water leaking from my eyes.

We have one of those kind of birthdays coming up Sat. He's going to be 20. I still reflect on the 14th, and my eyes still leak each year.

Anonymous said...

I remember that day, too--the school secretary called me out of the classroom to let me know (in her inimitable twang) "there has been an e-mer-gency." Two hours later she called me out again... I said, "I know, My sister had a baby." She answered, "THIS is a DIFFERENT e-mer-gency." Our new house had been robbed! The only good news about your day is it put mine into its proper perspective. Happy birthday to Spank.