Monday, January 02, 2006

There Ought to Be a Law

SuperHubby, being of sound mind and um-um-um body, presented me with a TV for our bedroom for Christmas. It was the only choice I gave him, I talked about it nonstop, I had several people talk to him about it...what can I say? He can take a hint.

So the other night, I'm enjoying my new TV, which doesn't work very well right now because we don't have cable hookup in our room, so all I can do is watch DVDs. Not a bad idea, but it was late and I didn't want to go out. I decided to borrow a movie from Spanky.

Spankster ran through my choices. I narrowed it down to The Incredibles and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. I've already seen The Incredibles, but not the new Charlie, and I do love Willy Wonka, so I opted for that one.

It started out slow. It never got better. This was, by far, the absolute worst movie I have ever had the displeasure of viewing. Johnny Depp was Willy Wonka, and frankly, he didn't do justice to Gene Wilder's creation. He reminded me of someone on a serious acid trip, not an eccentric candymaker. The children had the same names and met with basically the same fates, but that was about as close as the movie followed the original.

My biggest problem with this movie? The Oompa Loompas. The original OLs were quite adorable, strange little men who wore strange little outfits and made fun of the bad little children. These are people I can associate with. The new OLs were not really little people; they were very obviously normal people who had been digitally shrunken -- and they didn't even try to disguise this misdeed. On top of that, they wore scary little leatherette outfits. They were ugly. And the didn't even sing the Oompa Loompa song.

WORD OF THE DAY: DISAPPOINTED.

The movie bites. Why did Tim Burton mess around with cinematic perfection? The original was gold; this version is just plain poop. I've resolved (another resolution - woohoo!) to never again watch a remake of a movie I truly love...based on past experience, it can only bring me down.

The best part of my evening? The boys climbed up in bed and watched the dumb thing with me. We had a great time, even if the entertainment was less than enjoyable. And I managed to come up with a word for today - bonus!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my acqualina condo miami site.
Good luck!