Sunday, January 01, 2006

Lessons from '05

Looking back on 2005 and all that it entailed, I realized I've learned quite a bit this past year. That in itself is an amazing thing, but I have decided to share my infinite wisdom, in the hopes you won't have to learn things the hard way.
  1. If you start the year with one of your parents in ICU - dying - for the first 3 months of the year, chances are things won't get much worse for the rest of the year. (He didn't, by the way)
  2. If you don't like to fly, don't plan your entire vacation in a locale you can't reach by car. Think, people.
  3. Even though I live in the same city as my brother, I talk to him almost every day, but only by email; however, when he leaves for a month and I can't talk to/see him when I choose, I want him to come home and never leave. Once he's home, all bets are off.
  4. Tattoos hurt. A lot.
  5. There are worse things than driving a suppository. I'm sure of this, although I don't have any proof just yet.
  6. There comes a time when your children are old enough to put together their own Christmas toys. What a fantastic year.
  7. A year without an overnight (or 18) at MUSC is a wonderful thing. Two years running is a glorious blessing.
  8. Families with more than 2 adult children are just asking for trouble.

Last year was a long, hard year for our family. This time it was the extended family with the troubles; they stayed pretty clear of our little household. Even so, we were all extremely blessed and continue to be. The best things in life are family and friends.

No comments: