Tuesday, September 11, 2007

SuperHubby Update

So SH hasn't been feeling all that great for a couple of weeks. It finally bottomed out this weekend when we realized he had all the symptoms of something funky going down with the shunt. I lovingly suggested that he call the doctor. He lovingly told me to butt out. By yesterday morning, he was offering to go to the ER if that would make me feel better. Anyone who knows SH knows this is not a good sign.

He left for the ER at 1:30. I got 2 text messages from him around 4:00 and then nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Not good for the nerves. I finally called the ER and found out they were running the full series of shunt tests and I really just needed patience, thank you very much.

After 9 hours in the ER, SH was released to come home. He was feeling lousy so I went and picked him up. (Thanks to Kelly and the Smurf, who helped me with logistics!). When I got there, he was terribly nauseous from the spinal tap so they had to give him phenergan in his IV – and we had to stay until that starting working. He also had a terrible headache that nothing was touching. It was a pressure headache but could have been caused by the spinal tap – that makes the fluids decrease quickly, which can cause a pressure headache. He said the doc took a lot of fluid so we’re thinking that was a contributor to the bad headache.

Finally got him squared away and had to run to the 24-hour CVS for Lortab for his headache and Gatorade to try to replenish some of his fluids. Got him home around 10:30. He didn’t sleep well – he was screaming and jerking and the norm when he’s like this – so I haven’t slept a wink (yeah, right, poor me). I left him in bed when I took the boys to school but had to run home because a teacher got makeup on my shirt and he was awake and prepping to come to work.

Right now we just wait. The culture they tested last night was clear but the doc was talking a lot about the last time he had an infection and how the bacteria grew so slowly and how they’ll really have to keep any eye on it again. SH is nervous. We have to monitor him very carefully over the next couple of weeks and return to the ER if there are changes.

So if you think about it today, please pray for SH.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The prayer chain is in full force throughout the country starting here and going through Texas then outward from there.
We are 'praying without ceasing' for your SH who happens to be a nice Super Man.