Thursday, September 06, 2007

Cowboy Mike

Tuesday was another amazing day in our house. FrogBoy started equine therapy. I have never seen anything like it in my entire life.

It took us about 30 minutes to get there...and I got lost 3 times before I actually found the place. We're talking backwoods, people. Anyway, as we're driving in, we notice roosters and hens, cats, dogs, and of course, lots and lots of horses. This is going to be interesting.

See, Froggie doesn't really care for animals that much - although he does like smaller dogs - and he certainly doesn't like being outdoors. He has a hate/hate relationship with dragonflies and butterflies and most other bugs that fly. I figured we had a long day ahead of us.

So we go in and he changes into his jeans, because, as Miss Leslie told him, he's going to be a cowboy today and ride bareback. WHAT?! I really thought the first day would just be, "Hello, this is a horse, see you next week." Anyway, he gets changed and picks a helmet, which takes a few minutes because you want just the right one, and then we're off.

Now I have to say, these people know what they're doing. They should - they do this equine therapy for autistic kids and handicapped kids alike, so you want to make sure no one gets hurt. But they had Miss Leslie, who was in charge, and then Miss Julie, Miss Susan and Mr. Rick - one in front, leading the horse, and one on either side, making sure the kid doesn't slide off. Oh, and Danny.

Danny was the horse. Danny was the coolest horse ever. I have never seen such a gentle creature. He was amazing. Again, I'm sure they screen for this, but he was on his mark Tuesday. He sniffed Froggie to get his "stench" (FrogMan's words, not mine), and then they all went to the ring. I got left behind, outside the gate. Story of my life.

Miss Leslie explained some things to Froggie and told him that Danny wanted to play games with him - Danny loves to play games. Froggie found this to be good information. Miss Leslie asked Froggie to mount Danny. Froggie said, "Um, no thanks." Polite kid.

Miss Leslie then explained that Danny really wanted to play, but they couldn't play the games if Froggie wasn't actually ON Danny. They walked through the games without the horse, and my little FrogMan, who can't stand animals or the outdoors or bugs (and there were plenty!) actually RAN over to the horse and mounted up like he's been riding for years! These people really know what they're doing!

Now at this point, I must point out that I was crying and trying to pretend like the wind was causing my eyes to water. I knew if they didn't get FrogBoy on a horse that day, it wouldn't be happening. He's a little like me. But there he was, riding like a pro.

He rode with both hands. Then he started petting Danny while he was riding (he was told to do this, he didn't just start doing it because he felt like it). Then he would reach back and try to touch his tail while riding. He had great posture and would correct himself when he started to slip. He used his voice commands and even learned a non-verbal command for Danny. Froggie was happy. Danny was happy. I was ecstatic.

Eventually they played the games, which were pretty cool. I think Danny was even smiling, although I could have imagined that. Then they had Froggie do a victory lap, during which he actually rode around the ring with both hands in the air - incredible!

All the while, I had Oreo the cat hanging out on top of my feet. And I don't even like cats!

After they were finished, I talked with Miss Leslie and she was very impressed with how well the first lesson went. She actually used the word "miraculous." I think that may be a little strong, but it was nothing short of REALLY COOL.

In the car, FrogBoy told me how proud of him everyone would be. He is so right.

Then he asked me where babies come from. Ruined a great day. I asked him why he wanted to know and apparently he had seen it on a billboard. Thank you, East Cooper Hospital. Your silly little advertising gimmick has caused me to have acid reflux. Anyway, I asked where he thought they came from, and he said "From mommies tummies." Thank goodness I thought to ask before I went into an explanation - his answer was WAY better than mine!

And then, true to Froggie form, he said, "Yeah, they don't come from New Jersey, or lettuce, or mommies armpits."

What a great kid.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story. I had to blink the wind out of my eyes a couple of times while I was reading.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this very special occasion with all of us. I cannot stop telling everyone I meet about the awesome - ness of Mike the Cowboy and Danny the horse! There's no wind in my eyes - just tremendous joy in my heart.

Super Rog said...

Man I love that kid. I wish I could join a small group with y'all. But, I'll probably do one in North Chuck Town.

By the way, tell Froggie that Mr. Rog is proud of him too.

Oh and if Miss Leslie, Miss Julie or Miss Susan are single, cute, short and over 25...keep me in mind. That is if Super Stud Froggie hasn't already claimed them all.


Rog