Monday, February 25, 2008

And the Winner is...

Last night, I stayed up and watched the Academy Awards. I've never done that before. Now I know why.

For starters, I'm a morning person. Which means I got to bed by 10:00 - on a late night. So staying up until almost midnight to see a bunch of snooty people get awards I doubt they deserve or appreciate really doesn't interest me. But I wanted to do it so I could say I'd done it, and now, thank heaven, I never have to endure that torture again.

There were some highlights to my evening, however:

Gary Busey accosted Jennifer Garner on the red carpet. She looked like she might throw up all over him and Ryan Seacrest. And I'm pretty sure Gary wouldn't have noticed, because he was feeling NO PAIN.

When Javier Bardem won for Best Supporting Actor, he thanked his mom...who was his date...and did it in Spanish. She cried. That's always cool.

When Marion Cotillard won for Best Actress in a film I can't even pronounce, much less ever even heard of, she was amazed. She had nothing prepared and just said "I love love! I love life!" When she walked the red carpet earlier, she mentioned she'd never even watched the Oscars. Nice.

The Best Original Song winners were a man/woman team. The guy got up and hogged the mic and the poor mousy little girl didn't get to say a word before they started the "get off the stage" music. After the break, Jon Stewart - recognizing that her moment had been stolen from her - had her come back out to say her thank you's. She actually said something relatively smart too. I liked that.

There was actually a slip-n-slide area next to one of the podiums. First Colin Ferrell, then John Travolta, slid to their almost-doom. I kept hoping someone would go down, but alas, I was disappointed.

I didn't stay up to watch the last 2 awards (Best Director and Best Picture). At that point I just didn't care anymore. None of my picks were winning anyway. Plus I was really tired. I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. Of course, I also don't like seeing movies in actual theaters - it takes to much time out of my life - so maybe the whole thing just isn't for me.

1 comment:

Super Rog said...

Thanks for the recap. Now I don't feel so depressed about missing out.

Hey, I deserve an Oscar just for getting away with that comment.