Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I Win! I Win! I Want My Prize!!!

This year, the church went to a new high deductible health insurance policy. SuperHubby has his own policy, which comes with a $2750 deductible, and the boys are under my policy, which has a $5500 deductible. That means our total deductible for the year is $8250. Yikes.

We have to pay 100% until our deductible is met. Then the insurance pays 100% for the rest of the year. This might actually help us.

We figured SH would meet his deductible rather quickly. He takes over $400 in medicines each month, and he has physical therapy (for that ear issue) once a week, which is again more than $400 a week. For those weak in math, that's about $2000 in one month. I figured by March he'd be home free.

Who knew Spanky would end up having his appendix out? And to top it off, would spend 5 days in the hospital? All the bills are not yet in, and our total cost for that little visit stands at $26000+.

But the beauty of it is, we only have to pay $5000. (We had already shelled out $500 for 2 measly prescriptions, but that's not important here). The point is, we have $5000 to pay toward the surgery and the rest is covered.

It gets better. Since FrogBoy has Medicaid (because of the autism), it was GOING to take me and Spanky until October to meet our $5500 deductible...but because of the surgery, we met our deductible by January 21. Sweet.

I still can't believe we met our family deductible before SH met his individual deductible, but that's what I get for thinking. Even though I hate insurance, I am grateful that we have it, that it is working for us (this year, anyway) and that everyone in my house is semi-healthy (today).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We have that too. After I had the baby in August, I told hubby that we had to go to any and every check-up we could. It was awesome! I hate the doctor, but I love free...