Friday, July 22, 2005

Goodbye, Mr. Happy

My dog killed Mr. Happy. Needless to say, I am, in more ways than one, extremely un-happy about this recent turn of events.

This dog has more toys than imaginable. He has about 600 tennis balls and one gigantic piece of twisted rubber (we're not really sure what it's supposed to be). And yet, he feels compelled to play with/eat things that belong to his family. Specifically, me.

Now, I understand when he walks around with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle underwear in his mouth. I'm sure that somehow seems like a good idea to a dog. I can even understand when he carries stuffed animals around -- it's almost cute. Almost.

But a couple of days ago, Kane overstepped in a big way. He gnawed through the straps on a new leather backpack I bought for our trip to PA. Yes, that's right, a new bag that I hadn't even used yet...destroyed! And it was hanging on the back of a chair, so he had to work to get at it. But I decided to forgive him. He's not the brightest thing in the world.

Now he's gone too far. He attacked and mutilated Mr. Happy. It's a sad day in the Fitzgerald household.

Mr. Happy is a wooden thing that has a big round ball on one end and 3 smaller round balls extending from "legs" attached to the large round ball. The large ball has a face painted on it (hence the name Mr. Happy). You get them at Bath & Body Works. It's cute. And it feels great on your back.

So Kane decided that he needed to eat Mr. Happy. Spanky caught him in the act, but alas, it was too late to save my happy friend. I put him on the counter to dry off (Boxers slobber a lot, and Mr. Happy looked like he'd been swimming). Yesterday, I hear this tremendous noise coming from the back of the house, and discover Kane has taken Mr. Happy from the counter (a big no-no) and is tossing him into the air with great glee. What a stupid dog.

Adios, Mr. Happy. You will be missed.
Kane - you'd better watch your back.

No comments: