Friday, July 15, 2005

It's official. I am changing my son's name.
This is something I have been seriously considering for some time now. He's only 7, so I don't think it will be too difficult to get him accustomed to a new moniker.
I'm not talking about his given name. Please. We don't call our children by their given names. No, I'm talking about his "Mommy name."
My older son is Spanky. I don't know why. I just came out one day and stuck. There are a lot of things like that in my life.
My younger son is Baby Boy. He sort of christened himself as such. Generally, he calls me, and I answer with "What, Baby?" That's all I can figure.
Like I said, he's 7. Probably time to stop calling him Baby. Just something I've been thinking. It would never occur to him not to love that name, but since he's going into 2nd grade in a couple of weeks, I've been thinking I should do him right in the nickname category.
I've decided that henceforth and forevermore, until I change my mind again, he will be called Kermit. As in the Frog.
I have my reasons. This kid is forever sitting on the floor, "puzzling." He puzzles all the time. Big puzzles. Hard puzzles. And he's amazing.
He puts puzzles together from the inside out. Sometimes he puts them together upside down. (By upside down, I mean with no picture showing. Freaky.)
This is a constant in our house. And when he puzzles, he doesn't sit like a normal kid. He sits with his feet flat on the floor, knees straight up to his chin. He looks like a frog.
And who's the coolest frog ever? Kermit.
My baby has a new name. Until my next mood swing.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

My grandfather's best friend and fellow veternarian's name is Kermit. I'm serious. My favorite name as a Kid. I thought Kermit was so cool. I think Kermit died. But he was cool.

Lori Fitzgerald said...

I regret to inform the 3 people who read my blog that Kermit has been vetoed. However, you all know the child to whom I am referring, so it will come as no shocker that he has chosen his own name...not unlike what I had chosen for him...he is the child now known as Froggy. Whatever.