Monday, June 25, 2007

For Non-Seacoasters Only

This particular post is for my friends and family who don't attend Seacoast. For all the Seacoasters who are still reading (and I know you are, because Seacoasters don't follow directions very well), seriously, you don't have to read further.

This past weekend, Pastor Greg gave an awesome message. It was called "A Lion, a Crocodile and a Herd of Water Buffalos." While this ain't your typical Baptist message title, it's pretty normal around Seacoast. And it was really great.

There's a link on our website (www.seacoast.org) that will take you to Pastor Greg's blog, which will then show a YouTube video about - you guessed it - some water buffalo, some lions and a crocodile. Oh my. It's really an amazing video, and I think everyone should see it.

After you view the video, I urge you to listen to the message online. It's one that has incredible imagary and application that you'll never forget.

Becky - this is mainly for you right now - simply because with Larry & Ann gone, you may be the only non-Seacoaster reading my blog. However, I'm hoping a lot of people will tune in, both to the video and the message, because it really is just that cool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is cool. Animals never cease to amaze me. Sometimes I sit and wonder why God gave us animals. Obviously they are good for meat (some more than others), but it does seem that part of the reason for the existence of animals is so that God can make analogies with them. (Ex. sheep vs. goats, Jesus called the Pharisees a brood of vipers, etc.)

I did watch the sermon video. It is interesting for me--having been a member of the same congregation for my whole life--to see a glimpse into other churches, especially of other "denominations" (or non-denominations, whatever). I think it is so cool that when the Bible is the basis for everything that is done or said in a particular church, any given Christian should be able to relate to what is said and done there. Christ is such a powerful force for unity (despite the "lions" that are constantly attacking churches--churches are made up of humans, after all, and are therefore all imperfect, except in Christ).

But, going back to the actual sermon, I will leave myself vulnerable here and say that I was personally really struck by the point that having a "questioning spirit" (which is very different from asking "good questions") can leave you open to attack. I am the daughter of parents who are both extremely analytical, so I was brought up to question EVERYTHING. This trait can be a blessing and a curse. On one hand, it is good to be like the Bereans who "examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true" (Acts 17:11). On the other hand, there is a great deal of arrogance in thinking that I have some kind of superior knowledge that would make my enlightened opinion better than anyone else's. I have personally witnessed the devastating effects of this mindset in the lives of people close to me (this, I think, would be where the "crocodile" comes in), but sometimes it is so hard to admit that I am being that way myself. Thank God for the other "buffalos" who can keep me straight!

Thanks, Lori, for sharing this message.

Anonymous said...

BTW, I just want to clarify your terminology... "Seacoaster"? Is that what you use to keep your glass from leaving water rings on the counters in your boat? :)

Lori Fitzgerald said...

See folks, I'm not the only one with great hair and a stellar personality. Sorry Becky, a Seacoaster is just a person who attends Seacoast...although I really like your thought process here!