Thursday, August 04, 2005

The Fitzgeralds Take Manhattan
(aka: The Beverly Hillbillies in NY)

The first day of our trip to PA was actually spent in NY City. This was a much anticipated trip, as we were planning to visit the Statue of Liberty and the gigantic Toys-R-Us with the ferris wheel. Nothing touristy about us.

Our day started well and we had a blast in the city. A few too many people for my tastes, but I guess no one had been informed the Queen was coming to town. People didn't get out of my way or even say "Excuse me" when they bumped into us...something I'm not quite familiar with...and forget saying "Thank you" or "You're welcome." Apparently manners are not en vouge in NY.

We took a sightseeing bus around the city and even got CLOSE to the Statue of Liberty. You have to take a ferry to the island, and although the ferry was 98% empty, we weren't allowed to board. Something about being 5 minutes late for the boat...although it was just sitting there like it was boardable. We bought a picture of the chick for FrogBoy's room and moved on.

We did and saw more things than I could ever cover here, but the most impressive thing I encountered in NY was the Naked Cowboy. No, I'm not kidding.

There's actually a man who stands in the middle of Times Square in his tightie whities (with "Naked Cowboy" in rhinestones on the buttocks, mind you), boots and cowboy hat, playing the guitar. I've seen this guy on the Today Show, but I honestly thought he was a gimmick for the station, not a real guy. No, he's real all right. And proud of himself.

I've got to give the guy credit. He stands there all day, posing for pictures with people and playing his guitar for tips. I'm assuming this is his gig. He's cornered the market. I didn't see any competition. And he's the best Naked Cowboy I've ever come across.

We thought what he was doing might be illegal. If it was, the 5 cops on the corner weren't doing anything about it. And Mr. Cowboy had a line of people ready for their close-up. Whatever.

So although SuperHubby lost our tourbus tickets (we got on anyway) and my sister-in-law had her foot in a cast (long story) and we missed the ferry and we got a flat tire on the way back to PA and had to wait on the side of the road for 3 hours, we had a great first day of vacation. I've never seen anything like NY in my life...and the boys were mesmerized. Thankfully the rest of the week was spent on top of a mountain.

No comments: