Sunday, August 14, 2005

Lift Me Up

When I'm feeling down, I turn on some good 80s tunes to lighten the mood. What could be better? A few of my favorites:
  • Luka by Suzanne Vega. A sweet ditty about child abuse. Written in the first person. Charming.
  • Human by Human League. Boy cheats. Boy apologizes profusely. Girl forgives boy. Girl has cheated too. A wonderful commentary on the times.
  • Candle in the Wind by Elton John. Sir Elton waxing poetic about Marilyn Monroe. A very dead chick. Re-made in the early 90s when Princess Diana died. This song made him a lot of money...twice.
  • The End of the World as We Know It by R.E.M. The only thing more depressing than a song about the end of the world is a song about the end of the world where you can't understand the lyrics.
  • The Gambler by Kenny Rogers. Okay, this may have been late 70s, and I realize it's a very country song, but it bears mentioning. First, it's a great song. Second, the dude dies in the song. Happy, happy.
  • I'm My Own Grandpa by Ray Stevens. This is actually a very funny tune. And in the south, all too true.

If you're not singing one of these songs to yourself at some point today, I have failed in my mission to spread joy, 80s style. Big smiles!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was evil. I won't sleep a wink tonight, thinking about poor Luka on the second floor. If you're going to do this to people, at least pick something cheerful!