Saturday, August 06, 2005

The Ride of Our Lives

Since we don't get to NY often, and we apparently aren't the brightest bunch, we decided to take a cab ride while in the city. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

We were tired. We'd been walking for over 6 hours, my sister-in-law had a brace on her ankle from a camping injury, it was the middle of a "heat wave," and I'm not the most physically fit person on the planet.

We hopped into a cab in front of Trump Tower. We needed to get back to our minivan and we were all done for the day. It seemed innocent enough.

Our friendly cabbie was Ahmed Mohammed. He looked mean. Couldn't tell much else, since there were 5 of us squished into the back of his cab, with my brother-in-law riding shotgun. He is, quite possibly, the smartest of us all.

Soon enough, Mr. Mohammed starting cursing. A lot. Seems he doesn't like NY City traffic. At this point, neither did the rest of us, but we were all too busy hoping and praying we'd make it out alive to complain. Not Mr. Mohammed. And not my brother-in-law.

Remember that SuperHubby's brother is supposed to be smart? Well, he starts antagonizing the cabbie. Our lives are in his hands, and he starts ribbing him about how cab drivers are the worst drivers and they're really the problem with NY traffic.

Apparently he felt like we were close enough to our van to walk if we got kicked out. I'm not entirely sure he wasn't aiming for that. Ahmed let us ride all the way though; we looked like a clown car emptying out when we got to our stop.

If I ever make it to NY again - which may be difficult, considering I don't intend on flying anytime soon - I think I'll skip the cab and walk til I drop.

No comments: