Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Nothing

When I was in high school, I had this mini-poster on my bedroom wall. I remember it vividly. It was a pink photocopied piece of paper, with 1 word in beautiful old-style script: Nothing.

I saw this hanging in the hall somewhere and stole it. I'm pretty sure they wanted you to take one. There were about a hundred of them in a stack. So I think I'm safe on the stealing thing.

I loved this poster. It was fun. Unique. And it drove my brother (Dorkimus Maximus) crazy. Sorry Larry, but you've been the subject of enough posts to warrant a nickname.

DM would come into my room and point to the poster and ask, "What does that MEAN?!" And I would reply, "Nothing." He would grow frustrated. He's a very logical person. This was not an acceptable answer. He would ask again, but differently, "But what is it saying?" Again, same answer. It was great.

I kept that poster until I got married. It got lost in the shuffle somewhere along the way of growing up. Yet it still makes me smile. A simple sheet of paper that irritated the snot out of my brother. The gift that keeps on giving.

No comments: