Monday, August 08, 2005

NYPD Blah

I am addicted to NYDP Blue. I am pretty certain this show was created simply for my enjoyment. I have seen every episode at least 20 times, which is no small feat considering I just started my obsession with teh show on January 1, 2004. I remember it well...it was the New Year's Day NYPD Blue Marathon on Court TV. 24 hours straight of this terrific drama. With TNT and Court TV showing reruns every day, my habit is fed constantly.

Yet I have a serious problem with this program. They have some of the worst dialogue I have ever heard. Some examples:

  • After a "romantic interlude," girl-cop says to guy-cop: "We just made a baby." Okay, right, like people talk like that. The only thing worse than this comment was his reply: "Good." Feel the love.
  • One of the detective's wife is accidentally shot in the courthouse by a madman. This after a very lengthy discussion about how great their life is. Indication number one that someone's going down. As she lay in hubby's arms, dying, she utters her last words..."Take care of the baby." Ugh. First of all, the baby was 3. Second of all, he has a name. And third, what is this garbage???
  • People are constantly saying words like "perp" and "skel," and they have all mastered a head nod that must mean something but seriously just looks like a bad seizure.
  • Two people on the show actually had the following conversation: She: "That would be me coming over tonight." He: "That would be me, answering the door." Yuck.

Like I said, I really enjoy the show. I do not, however, see why we have to ruin good crime dramas with romance (and other stuff that doesn't even come close to romance). And the weird allegedly-New York talk is hard to follow. Too busy laughing.

Other than that, I love NYPD Blue. Just give me blood and guts and crime-solving anyday, and skip the other junk.

1 comment:

José A. Noy said...

How was the Trip?