Sunday, August 07, 2005

On Being Blessed

In a couple of weeks, we will mark the 1-year anniversary of FrogBoy's autism diagnosis. We knew something was going on, but we weren't prepared for those words. It was just a word, a label, nothing really changed; and yet, everything changed. Our world was shattered.

We didn't leave the house for a couple of days. Didn't want to see anyone. Didn't want to talk to anyone. Not even each other. Then the realization hit: "You can't hide forever." We went to church.

So in the middle of praise and worship, I'm standing there feeling sorry for myself, and we start with the song "Blessed Be." I always liked that particular song, but that night it took on new meaning.

Blessed be Your name in the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name
And blessed be Your name when I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise
And when the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name when the sun's shining down on me
When the world's "all as it should be"
Blessed be Your name
And blessed be Your name on the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord blessed be Your name.

A gentle, loving reminder to focus on Him and give over my worries and my child to Him. I left that place with a peace I've never felt, and though I won't claim to not have moments where I need a little pity party, I can choose to invite only myself to those, as I know the Lord will join me, let me fuss a little, then pick me up and help me realize what a great life we have. We are truly blessed.

No comments: